Wednesday 8 June 2011

Back in Blighty

Well the Euro adventure is over.
Sundays stage was once again a sufferfest. We only had 1 mountain pass to race over which was nice. It also ment that I wasnt dropped in the first hour of racing as usual!

I managed to stay much further up the field for the first half of the race over the smaller climbs and flatter sections. However once we hit the days big one I did begin to slide back a little. After saturdays timetrial I had managed to unlock the hurt locker in my head and once again slipped inside for the duration of the climb. I found some nice wheels to follow although I slipped backwards over the last few km's of the climb. Over the top it was all down hill, mainly fireroad to the finish. This ment that I wasn't able to close down many gaps to rider in front so i played it safe and tried my best to get to the finia in one piece.

The final descent to the finish line was once again down the Schladmig world cup dh course. It wasn't quite so fun today though as the arms were pretty ruined after 4 days of pumelling. I finished in 1 piece tough and finally cracked the top 70! 69th on the stage and up to 72nd in the GC.

After a marathon 16h drive back from Austria (I do like these endurance challenges!) i'm now back in Brighton. I was hoping to bag a solo entry to Mountain Mayhem in 2 weeks time but at the moment it looks like an entry is unlikely which is a shame. Instead I think I'll take a well earned mid season break. I've been racing sine Feburary and have travelled all over Europe so both my legs and mind need a break.

(it was a long drive back ok!?)

My plans for the rest of the year are still a bit up in the air, I have 1 24hour race and a crack at the south downs double record in my legs. Which 24hour race I do is still undecided.... it all depends if the worlds organizers pull their finger out! ;)

No comments: